Monday, February 23, 2015

overjoyed








My reluctance to buy whole music albums stems from the experience that I usually only truly appreciate a handful of the songs in any given album, and the rest of the album eventually becomes lost to the "skipping" function when my iPod is set on shuffle. The only instance when this does not occur and I actually love every single one of the artists' songs is when it's Bastille.

Every so often I fall in love with Bastille and their music all over again. From the lyrics to the melodies, everything they create is pure magic, and every other song they cover and touch easily becomes theirs. Often their covers become even better than the originals. I've spent this past week or so watching and re-watching most of their videos, whether from gigs, tours or interviews, and have fallen in love with them even more. They are genuinely talented, humble, down-to-earth, hilarious, adorably shy and innocently cute, which is a rarity in human beings these days, let alone those immersed in the music industry. The way they manage to remain untainted by the vanity and brutality of media attention and some other artists in the industry, and simply work hard on their own terms, really deserves admiration. Rarely do I find an artist that I really respect, in terms of both their work and them as a person, but the guys of Bastille are really so, so great.

In fear of sounding like one of their crazed teenage fans who scream at them and tear at their hair and clothes at gigs, I'm going to end this post here. (Though, in all honesty, I would probably scream my head off, too, at one of their shows, with how insanely good they are live. The first video posted above is the one I watched that lead me to pay more attention to their work. And the last one with Rudimental is just such a fun performance.)


No comments:

Post a Comment